Affton School District is Hiring a Payroll and Benefits Coordinator
Affton School District
Payroll and Benefits Coordinator Reports to: Chief Financial Officer (or designee)
Classification: Support Staff
FLSA Status: Exempt
Terms of Employment: 12 months or as otherwise assigned by the applicable working calendar.
Salary and work year to be established by the Board of Education.Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with
provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Support Staff.
Compensation: According to the Off-Schedule Support Staff salary structure.
Under the supervision of the Chief Financial Officer, this position serves as a member of the
Business Office team carrying out professional level payroll and benefit functions, related to
processing payroll and health insurance for staff. This position is expected to exercise
independent judgment, develop solutions and/or recommendations, and under direction, make
decisions relating to specialized subject matters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Appropriate safety precautions to be used at all times while performing essential duties.
2. Communicate with all stakeholders in an effective and timely manner.
3. Work collaboratively with other staff members.
4. Assume responsibility for the safe condition of all assigned areas and/or equipment operated.
5. Maintain a safe and orderly work environment.
6. Maintain confidentiality in accordance with applicable law and district policy.
7. Follow established district policy and procedure at all times.
8. Promptly attend all scheduled and called meetings by the Administration.
9. Establish payroll records for district employees; assuring accurate documentation, pay rate, benefit eligibility, deductions, garnishments, union dues, assigned schedule, budget codes, leave accruals, and any other payroll items.
10. Collaborate with Human Resources regarding new employees to address any questions concerning compensation, benefits, effective dates, etc.
11. Manage and maintain the district’s time clock system including exporting leave and time worked for payroll purposes.
12. Process biweekly payroll including the reconciliation and payment of liabilities while assuring all correct accounting processes and account codes are used.
13. Research payroll discrepancies, calculate and adjust pay and leave when necessary.
14. Extract, analyze and manipulate payroll data and reports from the financial system as needed.
15. Complete, monitor, adjust and file the Quarterly 941, W-2, quarterly unemployment compensation and annual retirement reports to ensure efficient, effective, accurate, and proper reporting of the district’s financial status.
16. Provide employment verifications to such sources as federal and state government agencies, bank and mortgage companies.
17. Receive, research, and respond to employee and supervisory inquiries. Advise supervisors on procedures, timelines, and reporting requirements as they relate to payroll and benefit practices.
18. Monitor payroll and leave reports, coordinate with supervisor and Human Resources Office if potential discrepancies are noted.
19. Coordinate FMLA absences, employee leave balances, and paid and unpaid leaves with the Human Resources Office.
20. Maintain current knowledge of payroll/accounting system, bargaining agreements, contracts, district policies and payroll/benefit related laws and regulations.
21. Maintain employee benefit records for new and existing employees. Update systems with renewal information and employee benefit changes (plan overviews, rate sheets, deductions,
etc.). Coordinate all benefit programs and assist staff with benefit selections and questions.
22. Reconcile benefit liability accounts, vendor bills, and pay in correlation with prepared payrolls.
23. Reconcile monthly retirement report and provide employee salary verification to the state retirement system (PEERS and PSRS).
24. Manage monthly reconciliation of Retiree Health Insurance program.
25. Administer the Workers’ Compensation program for the district. Review incident reports, determine eligibility, maintain employee rights and district policies, create and maintain incidence files, coordinate and compile information from insurance providers, medical professionals and others.
26. Manage the School District Administrative Claiming program.
27. Other duties as assigned by the Business and Human Resources Offices.
This position does not require supervisory responsibility.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in related fields required or equivalent experience.
2. Must have 1-2 years of experience in a job-related field.
3. Preference will be given to candidates who have experience with TimeClock Plus, SISFin,
Frontline Absence Management, Excel, and Google applications.
4. Preference will be given to candidates with prior experience in an educational setting.
1. Ability to communicate, both verbally and in writing, and interact effectively with all aspects
of the school community is required.