Elementary and Secondary Education is Hiring a Chief Operations Officer
Position: Chief Operations Officer
Department: Elementary and Secondary Education Classification: 12 Month, Full-time, Professional
Division: Financial and Administrative Services
Location: Jefferson Building, Jefferson City
Section: Accounting and Procurement
Pay Range: Set Salary
The incumbent must have the ability to perform the essential functions below either with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Create and recommend Accounting, Grant, and Procurement policies and procedures to Department management.
- Oversee daily operations of Accounting, Federal Grants, and Procurement sections.
- Global knowledge of the SAM II system.
- Make presentations to Department management and to general staff.
- Implement state and federal statutes and regulations within the department.
- Review contracts for compliance with state, federal, and department statutes and regulations.
- Coordinate the overall payroll funding strategy.
- Review and balance payroll bi-monthly.
- Oversee the implementation of the indirect cost plan.
- Create the Cash Management Investment Act (CMIA) report.
- Direct and create various financial reports for management.
- Evaluate financial status of various funds monthly.
- Oversee Department’s submission for the statewide Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
- Department liaison for audits.
- Signatory for all Department contracts greater than $10,000.
- Attend budget hearings.
- Serve as Department point of contact on all federal grants systems.
- Make recommendations to management concerning Accounting, Grants Management, and Procurement issues.
- Serve as a member of the Department’s Executive Leadership Team.
- Assume other duties as assigned by the Deputy Commissioner.
- Serve on statewide committees regarding financial issues.
PREREQUISITES FOR THE JOB:
- Eight to ten years of experience in financial management with increasing responsibilities for multi-faceted direction and planning.
- Master's degree in business administration, accounting, or finance from an accredited college or university preferred.
- CPA designation preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to lift 25 pounds.
COMPUTER SKILLS: Proficient in SAM II financial system, Microsoft Office products including: Microsoft Outlook, and Excel. Knowledge of database and accounting computer application systems to supply the most accurate financial information.
REQUIRED TRAVEL: This position is required to travel occasionally in-state or out-of-state.
(Other qualifications and experience which in the opinion of the Commissioner of Education meet the requirements of the position may be accepted in lieu of the above.)