Hazelwood School District is Hiring a High School Principal
POSITION TITLE: Principal, Senior High School
REPORTS TO: Assistant Superintendent
POSITION SUMMARY: Provides educational leadership to effectively develop and present the best possible educational programs, to ensure that each student enrolled in grades 9 through 12, receives the best educational experience the school can provide; supervises grades 9 through 12, associate and assistant principals, department chairs, teachers and auxiliary personnel employed in the school.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
- Evaluates, encourages and recommends improvement regarding the instructional program; develops a desirable climate for learning and takes effective measures to maintain it.
- Keeps his/her supervisor informed of developments regarding the operation of the school.
- Coordinates administrative operation of the school; gives initial approval to budgeted expenditures.
- Continuously evaluates school-sponsored activities, including those occurring before and after normal school hours.
- Cooperatively plans and implements a program conducive to the overall objectives of the District.
- Participates in the selection and assignment of the staff; makes teaching and duty assignments; schedules and conducts faculty meetings.
- Evaluates personnel under his/her supervision for the purpose of improvement of instruction and for re-employment; participates in the procedure to alleviate staff grievances.
- Takes an active role in disciplinary actions involving students that demand his/her personal attention.
- Supervises the direction of student records and information services; personally prepares or supervises the preparation of reports requested by outside agencies or District supervisory personnel.
- Directs a program organized to aid the student in transition between elementary and secondary school.
- Supervises the development of an annual budget for the educational program of the school.
- Prepares an annual report to the Assistant Superintendent.
- Attends District administrative meetings, as required.
- Prepares handbooks, schedules and materials for opening of school in Fall.
- Participates in professional activities designed to enhance competency.
Physical/Visual Activities or Demands: Physical/visual activities or demands that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
- Standing, walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing.
- Normal attention with clarity of vision at 20 inches or less as well as 20 feet or more and field of vision
that can be seen up and down or to right or left while fixed on point, required.
- Light physical demand with regular lifting of very light to light (1 to 25 lbs.) items by hand.
Environmental/Atmospheric Conditions: Environmental and atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
Typical office conditions, but with regular travel between schools required.
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Education: Broad knowledge of an advanced and professionally specialized discipline or other studies not available in undergraduate schools, involving an advanced theoretical knowledge within a specialized field; equivalent to a Master’s degree.
Experience: Requires a minimum of five years up to and including seven years of successful elementary classroom teaching experience; and practical experience in instructional management, effective teaching models, and curriculum development, implementation and evaluation.
Skills and Abilities which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
- Apply principles of rational systems to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral diagrammatic, or schedule form.
- Compute discount, interest, profit and loss; commission, markup, and selling price; ratio and proportion, and percentage.
- Perform reading, writing, and speaking at an advanced level.
- Ability and personality necessary to work effectively with colleagues, parents, other individuals, unions, community and school groups and organizations.
- Must demonstrate positive, effective “people skills”.
All activities, Demands, Conditions and Requirements are linked to Essential Job Functions unless marked with an asterisk which denotes linkage only to marginal function(s).
Period of Employment: Contractual period of employment is 11 months for the 2019-20120 School Year.