Hazelwood School District is Hiring a Communication and Marketing Specialist
The Communications Specialist will report directly to the Director of Communications and Marketing to assist in the development, implementation, and promotion of positive communications to the Hazelwood School District community, and at large. The Communications Specialist will also assist with coordinating special events, fundraising and other special projects. In addition, will respond positively to students, staff, administrators, parents, community, and the media.
- Serves as a liaison officer between the schools and the district in order to develop a databank of potential news stories.
- Develops media releases, as well as copy for brochures, newsletters, the Website, social media channels, and any other promotional material.
- Takes pictures of district and school activities.
- Advises the Director of Communications on the probable public relation consequences relating to shifts in existing programs and policies.
- Assists the video communication specialist in the planning and production of video programming for the District’s cable channel and Kids on the Move recognitions.
- Provides support to the Director of Communications in the coordination of election campaigns.
- Maintains updated database of media contacts
- Develops a social media plan for the District; gathers, edits, writes and organizations social media content including optimization for search, reporting/analytics, content development and working with agency and internal partners
- Oversees all content and its quality (Not too long of post, correct photo size, etc.)
- Develops and communicate a system to post social media messages over multiple platforms as needed.
- Monitors social media channels and develop analytical reports on university social media accounts and audience engagement.
- Incorporates images, video and dynamic content into social media content in a manner that communicates the school district’s brand.
- Maintains editorial writing quality, adheres to standard guidelines for social media postings.
- Writes attention-grabbing website content, and email marketing blasts.
- Executes social media campaigns and promotions in a meaningful way that builds relationships.
- Identifies ways of leveraging social media to drive awareness, advocacy and enrollment intent for the District.
- Works closely with internal team to assure social strategy efforts are translated across all goals. Manage individual projects and participate in team projects
- Grows and monitors Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- Understands and create content that aligns with our school district community’s interests and needs
- Creates, analyzes and utilizes metrics to adjust strategy as needed
- Responds to customers’ (internal and external) inquiries and feedback.
- Develops and maintain content calendar
- Works with video specialist to create commercials/promos to help promote school and district events on social media and website.
- Designs digital media campaigns aligned with goals. Coordinate the creation of digital content (e.g. website, press releases)
- Establish web presence to boost District awareness (student achievement, programs, etc.)
- Maintains a strong online Brand voice through social media to rebuild reputation
- Suggests and implement marketing methods to increase awareness
- Experiments with other web-based technologies that provide new opportunities
- Devises strategies to drive online traffic to HSD website.
- Develops and manages digital marketing campaigns
- Works with Director to oversee the social media strategy for the HSD
- Evaluates customer research (Surveys, polls, etc.)
- Reviews new technologies and keep the district at the forefront of developments in digital marketing.
- Provides various levels of support for website and school notification system, training for schools.
- Provides back-up for Multi-media (Video) Specialist and PR/Marketing Specialist (Webmaster)
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION/CERTIFICATION: Master’s degree in curriculum and instruction/Current teaching certificate issued by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education/reading certification preferred
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE: Broad knowledge of Social Studies curriculum and discipline (including reading, writing, language, speaking, and listening); Extensive knowledge of Missouri Learning Standards; Knowledge of various instructional delivery models; Knowledge of research-based and evidence-based instructional strategies
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Requires a minimum of five years of successful classroom teaching experience in Social Science; Requires evidence of improving student achievement in Social Science; Instructional coaching or team leader experience and curriculum writing experience preferred
- Strong ability to maintain confidentiality
- Superior interpersonal skills
- Accurate and attentive to detail
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Excellent communications and public relations abilities
- Positive, effective people skills
- Willingness to work effectively with all levels of employees
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to read, write, and speak at high levels
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide numbers and perform operations with like common and decimal fractions, including the ability to compute ratio, rate, and percent as it relates to data
- Ability to establish and maintain positive effective working relationships with staff, students, and the community
- Ability to design and present high-quality professional development
- Ability to apply principles of rational systems to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form
- Superior customer and public relations skills in working with others, in person, over the phone, and via email
- Proficiency using Microsoft Excel (spreadsheets with formulas, graphs, tables), Word (reports), PowerPoint (presentations), Google Drive, and Google Classroom
- Must demonstrate the ability to work effectively with other people in the leadership and coordination of activities involved with curriculum development and instructional programs
- Must be self-directed, highly motivated, and able to work independently
POSITION QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Education: Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, business, or related field is preferred.
Experience: Two-three years minimum previous experience in the communications/public relations role.
Skills and Abilities which may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position:
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills
- Excellent speaking, writing, and proof-reading skills
- Must be organized and have the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Attention to detail, especially deadlines
- Must be a team-player
- Must be energetic, enthusiastic, a sense of urgency, and a self-starter
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking skills, and the ability to use sound judgement is a must
- Must have the ability to work with little to no supervision at times
- Must be flexible
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED